THANK. GOD. IT’S. FRIDAY.
Who’s with me?
I’m up extra early this morning as Snow Plow Wars continue outside by bedroom window. Imagine 1 quaint one-way street, 2 yellow bulldozers, 1 dumpster nearly overflowing with snow, 4 over-tired, aggravated men, and me, snug as a bug underneath the covers trying desperately to block out the noise from outside. An impossible feat, so I’m embracing the extra hour or so of daylight that I don’t usually see with a little blogging, a few cups of hot coffee, greasy bacon, toasty tater tots and the sweet sounds of Good Old War.
Speaking of bacon and tater tots, the last few weeks have been brutal (and I’m coping with junk food so that’s how those relate). I have very little pep in my step, mainly because it’s impossible to have a pep in your step when you’re wearing heavy boots everywhere you go, with three other pairs of shoes in your bag at all times (office flats, gym sneakers, and shower shoes). These days getting from point A to point B, no matter what route you take, is an involuntary work out; scaling snow banks and balancing on poorly shoveled sidewalks, walking one foot in front of the other like a tight-rope of pavement.
BUT I like to find the silver linings, even if they are buried deep beneath 6 foot tall snow banks. For starters hot coffee tastes and feels just a tiny bit better than its usual excellence. Sidewalks? Paved, plowed, salted sidewalks are a luxury like no other. Even if it’s a narrow strip of pavement that lasts less than half a block, it is worlds better than the mounds of snow and slushy muck that take over every path. Catching the bus feels like winning lottery. It has no schedule anymore. Waiting for it is hardly an option, as all stops have been taken over by snow and I’m now forced to wait pretty much in the middle of the right lane. So when you’ve started making the trek to the train and those bright lights pull up behind you, unexpectedly, it feels similar to what I imagine seeing Santa’s sleigh must be like. There’s not a lot of good but when you find it, it’s great.
and on top of all of that IT’S FRIDAY!
So join me in a java refill and enjoy this collection of cool stuff that I’ve stumbled upon this week:
- FBF (that’s Flashback Friday): Last weekend was Valentine’s Day…whatever, I was working, who cares…but in my opinion these 10 reasons why Being Single is Awesome can apply to pretty much any time of year.
- ICYMI (that’s In Case You Missed It): Ben & Jerry made Jimmy a new ice cream flavor and I can only imagine that it’s as delicious as Jimmy Fallon is adorable, hilarious, and perfect. Just watch.
- Motivational Memo: I’m not usually a fan of these Thought Catalog articles but this one is pretty cool: 20 Signs You’re Doing Better Than You Thought You Were
- TBT (minus the second T): Had a dream about my old squad last night, missing summer nights on the baseball field more than ever these days. @firebirdsccbl
- Bucket List (category: cafes & coffee): Bagelsaurus. How could you resist the name alone? And the bagels? I’m just hoping they’ll be comparable to Delancy’s.
- Hawk Hill Happenings: These renovations to Bronstein Hall are both incredible and infuriating…ok, ok, maybe not infuriating, I’m just jealous that the Communications Department is finally getting the home they deserve and I’m not there to experience it…
- What to Wear: winter gear is not my favorite, far from it, in fact, but these Beanies by Beezer are handmade, ridiculously cute, and arriving at my doorstep any day now!
- Easy Listening: Good Old War is coming to Boston and if you haven’t yet heeded my advice to take a listen, I suggest you do so this morning. Seriously. Do it.
- This week in Boston: Does anyone remember what that green stuff that usually covers much of the ground and can sometimes be found on trees is called? Here’s a look at Boston before and after 96.3 inches of snow.
- This Weekend in My Life: I’ll be watching the Oscars in style (and in good company) this weekend at The Ellie Fund’s annual Red Carpet Gala. Stay tuned for a special Oscars Edition of 5 Things, next week. I’m guessing it’ll be equal parts swanky and inspiring.
- IMPORTANT ADDITION//Eyecandy: 28 Reason to tune in to March Madness. LOL THWND
That’s all I got for you this morning. Happy Weekending, people!!
Oh and PS, Shammy’s are back so if that doesn’t help you to see the silver lining through all this winter mess, you might just be a lost cause.