Lately I’ve been celebrating most, if not all, Mondays in “Cinco de Mayo” style. By this of course I mean with a margarita. On St. Patrick’s Day (Monday, March 17th), it wasn’t Guinness or green beer that I was after, it was a lime green margarita with salt on the rim. Whether there’s something to celebrate, like a graduate school acceptance or a successful job interview, or something to forget, like a less than perfect exam grade or a less than perfect boy, a margarita seems to always do the trick. And since Monday is the only day of the week starting with the letter “M”, it’s only right that the start of every week or the end of every weekend (depending on how you look at it) should be deemed “Marg Monday”.
While there may be one exam and one presentation standing in my way this afternoon, this evening I’ll be celebrating the 5th of May (and ringing in a birthday!) with good friends and a big pitcher of that salty-sweet tequila goodness! If you’re a tequila lover like myself (or even if you’re not) give these margs a try…because the only thing better than one margarita…is two margaritas.
1. El Vez: This original Stephen Starr restaurant located on South 13th Street in the City of Brotherly Love offers a fun atmosphere, excellent guacamole and the best margaritas in Philadelphia. Made with hand-squeezed lime juice, lime puree and your choice of additional flavors (all fresh, never syrup), these margaritas will have you falling head over heels in love with Jose…Cuervo, that is. El Vez certainly a little pricey so save this hot-spot for an extra-special celebration like a birthday or graduation. Enjoy outdoor seating but don’t miss the photo booth inside!
2. Taqueria Feliz: One of my favorite new restaurants and frequently featured on Once Upon a Plate, if you haven’t taken my advice yet, now’s the perfect time to check it out. As I’ve said before, these margaritas are truly some of the best.
3. Cactus: It’s hard to find a deal better than $10 pitchers of margarita, and it’s even harder to pass on such a deal. Cactus, another Main Street Mexican go-to, is great for a low key meal, or birthday celebration that all of your friends can not only enjoy but also afford. Regardless of what you’re coming in for, make sure you ask for Tony, there may be a free t-shirt laying around or even a round of shots on the house.
4. Chili’s: A few friends, a nice big bowl of bottomless chips and salsa, a couple frozen margaritas is just about all you need. No explanation necessary, these frozen treats are like sherbet with a shot of tequila.
5. Landmark Americana: Last but certainly not least, if your bank account is a little low and no one is particularly interested in taking on the role of designated driver, there’s always Landmark! The $2 margarita special on Monday nights is well worth every penny but you might want to order two at a time; the service is often far from speedy.